Saturday, February 19, 2011

When 24/7 isn't enough, will 25/8 be? (This is not actually Time Management 101)

I have been assigned with a new role. Organic growth. No, I am not into plantation, nothing close to growing organic vegetables. I am still in the human capital development field - such an apple-pie-motherhood-statement eh? Growing the organization from within, by grooming the employees instead of hiring (the much needed resources) from outside. Among the goals are to ensure that MotMot has enough talents in the pipeline; to start seeding the talents even at the university levels - whatever that mean.. One thing for sure, this new task requires not only new skill set and competencies but also more thinking and planning and meeting up external people. Let's sum it up in one sentence - this new assignment requires investment of time. A big fraction of the 24/7.


I have a new team too. The team members that I used to work with before -for the last 30 months-  were all gone. Not with the wind; but with good reward package and different sets of challenges. Well, I am grateful cos I still have a team of fresh-at-the-same-time-experienced members. Three of them,to be exact. Two of whom are fresh-in-Learning Development field but are experienced MotMot. (Ok, stay with me here..) The latest addition is an experienced Learning Development personnel but fresh in MotMot. So all three are experienced yet fresh/ new. And fresh members require more attention and coaching. Coaching is the first cousin of guiding (them). Guiding means spending (perhaps the better word is investing) time. Another significant portion of the 24/7.

Hmm, came to think about it, actually I am still being called for discussions and asked for updates related to NGLDP, MTrack, FLM, Groom M.E, EDGE and what not. There goes another big part of the 24/7.

I set at least 2 new goals this year. One of which is what am currently doing. Yup, polishing up my writing skills. Continue to keep up to meeting the minimally-one-post-per-week goal. Another, to spend more time reading the religious-text of Quran. At least 15-minutes-weekly  (yeah, am one of those freaks who measure progress and tick the to-do's).  Both of which require some amount of time, to complete.

I want to continue sweating out the toxic in my body at the 60-min non-stop aerobic session (ok, I got to admit that I just looove dancing to the blasted music, with Ms. Tan's loud voice at the background, shouting 8-more-to-go).

I would very much want to visit my parents -who are staying almost 200 kilometers away- at least twice a month too, more so now that Mak is bedridden.

I would also need to exercise much TLC to that big-boy-of-mine, especially since I spent way too much time holding the HP6910P on my lap.

I would love to spend time with my buddy, not cos of the pact to be BFF, but simply cos I love the retail therapy time and girls-just-wanna-have-fun moments with her.

I want to have my beauty-sleep;  to enjoy reading, reflecting the top 10-reads-of-the month from MPH or Borders;  to feel the thrills of watching CSI, Criminal Minds; to sing-along when Glee is on air; to watch Syafiq, Ukasha, Mimi, Sarah, Anis grow.


I think I have more than I can chew.
No, correction, I actually have more than I can chew.
I am ultra occupied with MotMot work.
To top to that, I add as many non MotMot activities (to balance the work and life).
24/7 is barely enough.
But if He gives us 25 hours a day and grants us 8 days a week, will it be enough to tick all the to-do's, to complete all the wants and needs?

Am not sure about you, but I don't think 25/8 will be enough. And I don't think I want to have 25/8.
So what's the trick here?
Do less, and aim lower, i.e. do not attempt to be too ambitious?
Exercise the famous 80-20 rule and do the significant-few instead of the trivial-many?
Identify your big rocks, and let the pebbles and sands settle as they fit?
Or do not attempt to manage your time, but focus on managing your energy?

There are many concepts, tips and techniques that expose and guide us to better manage our time, so we wont be victim of our own selves, that may lead to situations of self-inflicted mental-emotional-or-even-physical injuries.

I personally think the tips and techniques are useful and helpful. I guess I am the kind of person who believe in the there's-always-rooms-for-improvements. (perhaps my way of confessing that my efficiency level is not that high). I am also the kinda person who believe that everyone has a choice; whether to commit wholeheartedly or to just contribute partially; between to have fun and enjoy life or to curse and bitch about it; choose to strive to the next level or to be complacent in the current box; whether to take the road less traveled or the paths-of-convenience. 

In short, 24/7 isn't enough. 25/8 wont do any good either.
Ok, that's my rant for the day, period.
(am off to pasar malam now !! yippie!)

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Personal Workbook

No comments:

Post a Comment